Image: Chloe via Flickr
Who else is in shock that tomorrow is October?! I can’t believe it! It will soon be time to hear Christmas tunes while shopping at the grocery store! However, before the real cold weather hits, the next month is a great time to get a jump (or to catch up! lol!) on some home upkeep.
So, without further ado, I present 7 Tips for October Home Maintenance in East Texas:
1. Change the batteries in your smoke detectors – This one is easy, so start here and get some momentum going! While you’re at it, go ahead and get some extras for the TV remote too 😉
2. Fertilize Your Lawn – Now is the time to get it down to help your lawn from now and for a spring jump start!
3. Dryer Vents – Clean them out! I will probably put this in every monthly checklist…because, lets face it…you haven’t cleaned them since you moved in. It’s a HUGE fire risk and an easy fix! If you did do it last month, then BONUS, you’ve already checked one thing off!
4. Wrap Those Pipes – Be thinking of this around Halloween, it will start to get cold then. In the meantime, pickup some pipe wraps and faucet covers next time you’re at the store so you’re ready to go when the cold comes in. Don’t forget to drain and disconnect the hoses and put them in storage!
5. Varmint Perimeter Sweep – Yep, I said Vamint! 😉 That is the scientific term for squirrels, mice, rats, racoons, etc in East Texas! Do a quick walk around your property and do a visual check to see if there are any nooks or crannies where the critters are coming and going. If there are any holes (and especially if the holes contain a pair of eyes looking back at you), figure out a way to secure the opening. Also keep an eye out for signs of termites or carpenter ants, while you’re doing a Varmint perimeter sweep.
6. Clean the Chimney – Another repeat, so if you did it last month, you are really on top of your game! Don’t light your first fire of the winter until you have had the chimney cleaned. Don’t let a house fire be the first warning that your chimney needs cleaning.
7. Change your Air Filter – This one is an easy one to finish off the list!
Hope you have a happy and Safe Month and Happy October ya’ll!
Lisa E. Priest is a fan of all things October–especially HALLOWEEN and is an East Texas Area REALTOR® / Real Estate Agent with Picket Fence Realty, Inc.
You can call her via phone or text at 903-948-3343 or email Lisa@rentpalestine.com